The US Preventive Services Task Force, or USPSTF, is an independent panel of experts charged with making evidence-based recommendations to the government regarding clinical preventive services. These services can be for patients without related signs or symptoms. The USPSTF is supported by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
Recommendations on HIV Screening:
- Supports routine testing for adults and adolescents ages 15 through 65.
- This is a grade “A” recommendation, a huge leap from its prior status of grade “C” and it implies very high priority.
- Re-affirmed grade “A” rating for pregnant women.
Grade “A” ratings and medical cost:
- The Affordable Care Act (ACA) will require all grade “A” recommendations to be covered without cost-sharing to the insured in 2014.
- Medicare and Medicaid form their basis for coverage of preventive services based on grade ratings.
For additional Information: